Progressive organisational managements have realised that taxes (both direct and indirect, domestic and international) are a dynamic item of cost. Kochhar & Co.’s Tax practice group prides itself in offering realistic tax-cost management solutions to its clients adopting appropriate tax strategies proactively and ensuring timely implementation.
Our Tax Team is headed by a former member of India’s Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT), Mr. Shahid Khan, with his unparalleled experience of more than 40 years. The team comprising of experienced attorneys, chartered accountants and industry professionals makes us an ideal co – partner for all our clients’ Direct and Indirect tax requirements. The team has been successful in executing and delivering a range of complex to simple, sustainable business resolutions for some of the major Fortune Global 500 corporates.
• Our attorneys advise taxpayers on issues relating to business re-structuring, setting up new units, withholding taxes, royalty and fee for technical services, transfer pricing and contracting etc. In M&A transactions, our tax attorneys undertake investment structuring, tax due diligence and review.
• Our Direct Tax team regularly advises multinational and foreign corporations on complex issues including cross border investments and transaction structures, mergers and acquisitions, transfer pricing issues, availing beneficial provisions under applicable double taxation avoidance agreements to optimise tax implications, tax effective repatriation and exit arrangements. We regularly handle complex issues relating to transfer pricing adjustments, permanent establishment disputes, taxation of passive income, taxation of incomes from offshore drilling and exploration services, etc. We have been successfully handling myriad tax related disputes for clients ranging from representation on major tax litigation before the appellate authorities, High Courts and Supreme Court of India.
• On the Indirect Tax, our multidisciplinary team handles advisory , compliance and litigation services by offering tailor-made solutions on Customs as well as allied laws relating to cross border transactions viz SCOMET, Foreign Trade Policy, Food laws, Drugs and Cosmetics Act, The Legal Metrology Act etc. The team has extensively worked on Customs laws including all subordinate rules, regulations and issues relating to classification, valuation, interpretation of exemption notifications, prohibitions and restriction on cross-border trade, Free Trade Agreements.
• We have a strong and robust GST practice including GST advisory, tax compliance reviews, contract reviews, due diligence, restructuring of the supply chain following GST implementation and representing before the Advance Ruling Authorities to seek ruling for client in relation to their business transaction.
• In the area of litigation, the team represents clients in various forums extending from quasi-judicial authorities and tribunals to High Court and Supreme Court. We provide a special focus on support during departmental investigations by Directorate of Revenue Intelligence, the Special Intelligence and Investigative Branch, the Central Intelligence Unit of Customs.